Tuesday, February 14, 2012

My teachers are making me tutor a Spanish speaking student?


My teachers are making me tutor a Spanish speaking student?
Hi I'm 17 and a junior in high school in a suburban high school. Recently a girl from Colombia arrived to our school and she spoke very little English. Since I speak Spanish in my home, the teachers asked if I would kinda help her out with getting by and I said ok. She is working with an English as second language teacher, but I can tell this lady isn't very experienced, so the girl is learning slowly. The thing that's been bugging me the past few weeks is that this girl is pretty badly behaved. I tell her what the assignments are and she takes them home since her mom and stepdad speak English. Recently one of her teachers told me that she has not turned in any of her assignments and asked me if she does them. I'm also having a hard time helping this girl in class, when I have to finish my own work. How do I tell the teachers that if I haven't finished my own work, I can't really help her. Don't they have the responsibility of bringing in an appropriate ESL tutor?
Teaching - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
As to the school bringing in another ESL tutor; depends on available funds. As to her inappropriate behavior. You can't make her do her work. Let the teachers know that. Make sure they know you are making the assignments clear to her, and the rest is up to her, NOT you. Let them know you cannot teach what you have not learned yet yourself and that this is hindering your learning and probably that of the other girl. Lastly, the school does need to contact her parents and talk to them about the missing assignments. The parents do have quite a bit of responsibility here.

Read more other entries :