Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Can a foreign physical therapist work in the usa? Question about PRE MED aswell.?

Can a foreign physical therapist work in the usa? Question about PRE MED aswell.?
Hi, well I have two questions and I'd be quite appreciative if I could get some good answers. First, I'm a student of Physical Therapy in Costa Rica, I would like to know what are the opportunities or requirments for someone studying outside of the United States to be able to work in the united states; be it a clinc, hospital, etc. My worry come's as obviously, I always have to keep an open mind as to the possibilities of working in other countries. I myself am Costa Rican born but an American Citizen through my parents who are american, and I lived there myself for 10 years, so I'm guessing that should easy things up for me. I get this confusion because I always here things like "You have to do # years of PRE - MED" and "THEN pick the speciality you want to study" to be able to become a P.T., or a Doctor, etc... Here in Costa Rica we dont have "pre med" per say. My career takes 2 years and 4 months to become a BACHELOR IN PHYSICAL THERAPY, although this is not the same "bachelor" degree as in the USA, because it's really just a mile stone, you'r not allowed to work as a P.T. and your not licensed being a bachelor. You must do a total of 1 year and 4 months more (3 years, 8 months total) to become a "licenciado" which I do not know the english translation, and I know they do not use that terminology in the USA. After those 3 years, 8 months, it's the equivalent of "bachelor" in the USA, being able to work and all. In my country you cannot jump from bachelor to master degree, you must first be a "licenciado" and then pursue your masters degree. The way P.T. is structued here, which makes me belive the "bachelor" part is similar to what pre med would be, is that we see "classes" which include "basic sciences" like Biology, Anatomy, Physics, Neuro Anatomy, Physiology, Nursing, Neuro physiology, psycology, proffesional ethics, interventional methods in health.. We see "complementary sciences to PT": General Medicine, Medical Pathology I, II, and III, Traumatology and Orthopedia, Excersice physiology, Applied physicology, Psichiatry, epidemology, Neuro Devolopment.. and we see "specific science to PT" which compose 10 classes.. Most of these by the way have their own labs. Now I feel the "bachelor" part has more general classes towards the whole of sciences that relate with the health care profession, and not as many "specific" P.T., although there are 10 classes. And the "licenciado" part has 15 specific PT classes, 1 basic and 2 complementery.. which is why you cannot work here and are not licenced until your a "licenciado" which is the equivalent to "bachelor" in the USA, because until "licenciado" we do ALL of the practicing, community service hours, and really "GET INTO" PT. Is the way I described the system similar to what PRE MED and PT would be in the USA? I'm just worried that if in the USA there are much more requirments then I won't be able to work there, or someone with a University title from outside the USA wont get as much opportunities. Can someone help me out? Now, I wouldn't be worried at all if someone tells me that you can work, just have to do some tests to get the license, because my university here in CR teaches EXCELENTLY, and it's actually certified by many national and international standars, it's a specialized college, and it's the only one from Mexico to Colombia and the Carribean which gives masters degress aswell. My worries would come if I'd have to "go back to college" because they won't accept part of my title. Can you help me? Did I make myself clear? SORRY for the long messege. Also If I didnt get the "pre med" part well can someone help explaining it to me clearly? THANKYOU. Also how many years does it take to become a P.T. in the USA? Here in CR, its 3 years and 8 months to have the equivalent of bachelor in the usa, and about 1.5 more years for masters degree.
Mental Health - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Yes. But to work here in the USA, you must be licensed in the state in which you practice and have proof of insurance.
2 :
maybe Please answer my question because no one ever does. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AtJjjXAQ.iAq1ArGGvcH5Fzsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20100504193042AAF9tRc

Read more other entries :