Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Will I be accepted to college?

Will I be accepted to college?
Hello, I'm a Junior in High School right now, and was wondering if I have a chance at being accepted into any of my dream schools. As it stands, I have a 3.7 (weighted) GPA overall, however my freshman and sophomore year GPA's were both higher than my GPA this year (3.6, I believe). Aside from that, I scored a 2160 on my SAT's, which I still hope to raise in May since its not that good. I also participate in a variety of clubs around school including: Key Club, Model UN, Student Council, Debate Club, Increase the Peace, India Club, Asian Culture Club, Book Club, as well as some others. I've taken AP and Honers classes throughout my entire high school experience, and although I would love to tell you my school no longer offers class rank. Outside of school I do several forms of martial arts, currently Jujitsu, as well as fence, rock climb, and some water sports. I also intern for a local lawyer, and work as a lifeguard and Kumon Mentor. My dream has always been to go to school at Colombia, Brown, NYU, Cornell, Boston University, Colgate, Williams, or Amherst. Am I qualified enough to go, and do I have a chance? Thank you in advance, for all your advice and help.
Higher Education (University +) - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Yes! Most definitely. You have so many chances! You have a good GPA and a high SAT score. You are in many clubs and extracirricular activities. I think you have a strong chance of getting into any of those colleges. You are qualified enough!!
2 :
!!! i think u can get to practically anywhere!
3 :
I'm also a junior in high school, and have a 3.7 unweighted. So first of all, hello fellow college admissions competitor :P. You've got a damn strong amount of extracurriculars (holy crap I work at Kumon too), and a decent GPA. A 2160 is pretty good, and i think can get you into most of the schools on your list with that score, though your GPA will weigh you down. A weighted GPA of 3.7 is okay, but that equates to a lower GPA if you've taken so many AP and honors classes. Amherst, Cornell, Brown, and Columbia will be a little more on the fence, but I think you'll be okay with Williams, Colgate, and definitely Boston University. So focus on doing well on your AP tests and bringing up your GPA, as your GPA is the most important factor on your application. Try for Straight A's this year- that'll be the most amazing thing you can do as a junior while taking four or five APs. It's tough, i acknowledge, and I'm taking four APs this year so I can relate to you. good luck!
4 :
Your SAT scores are actually higher than most. That's around the "average" for some of the schools you're applying to. Your extra curriculars are REALLY gonna help you stand out (especially since you see to have a focus with them and are not jumping all over the place). Do whatever you can to make yourself look good from this point on, because there is not much you can do about your GPA. Many schools look more closely at the classes you took rather than the grades you received anyway, but of course the latter is still pretty significant. Write a KILLER essay, do something really special (strongly suggest something in a charity field, if at all possible), and recognize your own strengths and weaknesses. All three will really help you! I agree with the above answer in regard to their analysis of the specific schools. You will definitely be accepted SOMEWHERE, as you are a fairly strong student (or it appears so), but perhaps you should broaden your horizons just in case. Never hurts to apply to TOO many schools! Also, your chances may increase if you apply to a school early decision or early action. You may want to check that out, as well.

Read more other entries :