Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I'm going to Bogota, Colombia in a week. Any advice?

I'm going to Bogota, Colombia in a week. Any advice?
My friend was a foreign exchange student here last year from Colombia and next week I am going to visit her. I have a friend that went there on spring break last year and he said it was fun but he's a guy. Is there anything that I need to worry about? I'm going to be with her and her parents most of the time but I am a white girl going to be around a lot of latinos and I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb! I'm just a worry wart but I just need things to be precautious about and what's safe to do and what's not. Please answer it will be much appreciated! Thanks!
Other - Latin America - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Hell yes. Don't look too American or else you will draw unwanted attention. Like thieves. Columbia is really screwed up right now. Not enough cops, high crime rates. trust me i'm from Venezuela. be careful! Don't go out late at night. I'd be extra careful if you dont know Spanish.
2 :
Yeah it is very dangerous there and you seem quite good looking which will attract a lot of attention. If I were you I would stay inside!
3 :
Bogota is a relatively safe city. Take the same precautions you would in any other large city (e.g don't go out alone at night, stay in well lit areas, watch for pickpockets). As for sticking out like a sore thumb. There are a lot of tourists in Bogota. You aren't going to the be the only caucasian there. Also, latinos come in every color. You should be fine.
4 :
one advice, take care of your life.
5 :
try not to get kidnapped

Read more other entries :