Friday, July 1, 2011

Question about US passport going to Colombia!?


Question about US passport going to Colombia!?
Ok, so I want to go to Colombia for about 6 months. I have a US passport, and I understand that you can really only go to Colombia for 90 days (3 mos) with a US passport. Is there any way I can get an extension on this? Or do I have to get a visa? I am going there neither to student nor to work. I also don't know if I should just stay there for 6 mos and then pay the fines... Anyone know how much those fines usually are? and are there any repercussions for returning if I stay longer than my passport allows? Thanks all, Dave
Other - Latin America - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Hi there, when you enter Colombia you will get a visa at the border for either 30 or 60 days (mostly 60 days), for 90 days only if you show a return ticket, but it is not for sure. Anyway, there's no problem to get an extension when in Colombia. You need to go to the DAS office for an extension. You can stay a maximum of 180 per year, and multiple entries are ok. Have a good time in Colombia.
2 :
there are colomb ian consulates where you can apply for a 6 months visa. or stay 3 months and go to peru and ecuador and come back and stay couple of months.
3 :
Norbert has good information. However, there have occasionally been people who have had trouble gaining an extention who found that it worked well for them to travel over to Ecuador for a couple of days then just reenter Colombia and get another 90-day tourist visa. Either way, you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Read more other entries :