Monday, October 14, 2013

I am considering studying abroad, which spanish speaking country and its respective city should I choose?


I am considering studying abroad, which spanish speaking country and its respective city should I choose?
I've been to Mexico several times, visiting Manzanillo, Colima, and Guadalajara, Jalisco, and Mexico City. I would rather not study in Mexico, however I did enjoy Mexico City a lot. I understand that if I wanted to learn Castillian (proper) Spanish, I should study in Spain. What are the benefits and disadvantages of learning Proper Spanish? Some countries I am interested in is Argentina, Chile, Colombia, and the Domincan Republic. Which country would present the richest culture and best student friendly/college atmosphere? I should alos mention that my career will most likely be centered around political relations in Europe and Asia.
Studying Abroad - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
My parents are from Argentina and my Grandmother was born in Spain where the language originated. Argentines speak Castillian but if differs slightly. I would definitely suggest looking into Argentina. I lived there for a short time when I was little. The culture is amazing and so diverse, especially if you'll be in Buenos Aires. Most of the people in the city (at least when my parents were growing up) were European. There aren't many natives unless you're in some of the smaller provinces. It's a really classy city with incredible food and I can recognize an Argentine accent in a hearbeat. It's great! In general, people feel that the language is more "proper" than the Mexican language and are often offended when people in the US assume that because they speak Spanish, they must be Mexican. It's just a soar spot for everyone I've known from Argentina, Venezuela or Chile. I really do love the quality of the language.
2 :
I would also agree of those four that Argentina or Chile is the best for study abroad purposes. Colombia is an extremely dangerous place to visit do to a war that is grossly underreported and has caused the displacement of over 3 million people (with that said if this ever ends that would be my first choice without heart beat). I am wary of most Caribbean countries, because from what my native friends tell me, they only revolve around tourism. Although the Dominican Republic is a bit better there are still some serious issues with going there and you may only feel safe at a resort. In regards to your question about which country has the best atmosphere for study abroad, I have known a bunch of people who have studied abroad in Santiago, Chile and they LOVED!!!! it. However from what I've heard, Argentina is also a very good option. Don't go to Spain if you want to learn Spanish (this applies if you are an undergrad, if you are a grad student you have better chance). You will most likely go to a place that caters to students studying abroad and you will probably live with a bunch of other English speaking students. Therefore most of the language you will encounter and the people you will encounter will be English. I know a lot of people who have come back from four months studying abroad in Spain knowing less Spanish than when they left. I am not saying that applies to all of Spain study abroad, but you do have a much much much higher chance of not learning Spanish in Spain. High European culture in Chile and Spain are about equal (although they are different) they both have extremely famous artists, writers, and musicians. However if you want what is considered "native culture" Chile is a better option as Argentina is primarily European, where if you look at Chile's population most are a mix of European and indigenous people. Also the Incan empire was located partially in Chile. So actually I would probably choose Chile and do home stay! Unfortunately if you are intending to do this study abroad during the end of spring, summer or part of the fall, it will be very cold in both of those countries as it is there colder and they are not close to the Equator (in fact they have a dispute with each other over part of Antarctica.... even though legally no country can own part of Antarctica so the rest of the world is laughing) Anyway, I have been looking into study abroad in Latin America as well and I was wondering if you were considering Ecuador, because if you weren't do as that looks like a better option in my opinion than the other 2.
3 :
Well I recomend the Costa Rican spanish, is a good place to learn Spanish, is a neutral Spanish, and a very good place to travel, there are institutions and organisations that can help you, this is a good one to asking about the matter www.crhomestay.com, and you can see some interesting things about Costa Rica, they have a good learning program. Best Regards

Read more other entries :