Thursday, May 1, 2014

How do I stop being an overachiever?

How do I stop being an overachiever?
Hi I am Juan Lopez my family moved here from Colombia years ago. My parents are those super strict Hispanics, and I realized what kind of an opportunity we have here so I study hard, but I study too hard. I realized I like the way I am but it isn't healthy. Here i9s what I want to change: Firstly, I have to get Straight A's. My parents demand that I get a 95% or higher on everything on my report card, but I have set my own standards by setting the limit to 100% or higher. I cry if I get 98's or 99's, I just hate them! Also, for some reason, when i was trying to find what job to have in the future, I thought I had to make a $200,000 salary. My father makes more than half a million, so now that's had kind of a negative effect on me because I rejected some jobs for having a "low" salary, like $100,000. Yes, i know that's not low, I don't know why I did that. It was weird. I like stress. I also do extra hw and I'm in all AP classes. I have all 100's in my report card, some 101's (Thanks, extra credit!) and am student body president. I never go to parties and to tell you the truth I'm not interested in them. I am 16 and disgusted by drugs and alcohol, and I want to wait until AFTER MARRIAGE to have sex. I almost never go to parties, i go to bed at around 9:00 every day on my own wishes, and I LOVE to wake up early. I feel so weird. What should I do? Anything I can change that won't make e a loser? My parents give me an allowance every week, but if I didn't get a 100% or higher on a test/quiz, I reject them and say I don't deserve it. I even hate myself for being young and foolish and I want to grow up so badly. My mother says too much stress isn't good, my father likes my attitude though, but my mother says that there's no need to kill myself over an A. What should I do? Is it just because I'm Hispanic so I set those limits or could it be my personality or what? Help me change this please.
Psychology - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
dont kill yourself over it dude, jus take a day an hang with friends play some video games an chill out relax. your mom is right you shouldnt stress so much bad for your health.
2 :
i'm going to sound like a bit of a hippy, but go on a long walk, go and find a bit of grass to sit on and watch the sunset, listen to some music, go and do something that you're scared of, don't carry on wishing you were older but take notice of the world around you, go travelling when you get the opportunity and don' take any schoolbooks or whatever else; carry on being clever and getting A's, but just realise there are more important things, try and find some sort of residential/camp thing where you are shut of from your normal life an dhave no choice but to pay attention to the world, and also read Homo Faber by Max Frisch and realise that you might wreck your life if you're not careful but equally you might be fine if you just learn to realise that, yes it's a cliche, money won't make you happy however it seems. Also it seems that you've got this attitude from your dad and you may be doing this as much for him as for you, you're scared you won't live up to him and he'll be disappointed, well I don't know quite what to say about that; but you clearly are a multi-tasker so i think you can manage to impress him with your grades, your job, everythung like that, whilst still knowing that that's not everything, and just go and sit quietly outside sometimes and imagine.
3 :
u dont need to change.honestly people would give so much to be u.u arent a loser,sex is meant for after marriage and u are doing the right thing.u strive for the best and that is a good thing.being really smart can irritate some of your classmates but there are times they would give absolutely anything to be u.all u need to is to socialize a little more but never let your guard down.people like u are what we need in this world to make it a better place and truly u are gifted.dont let what people say get to you.

Read more other entries :