Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Good schools to transfer to from a community college?

Good schools to transfer to from a community college?
I am a community college student with a gpa of around 3.6, (doing my best to bring that number up). I have a decent amount of extra cirriculars (also doing my best to bring that up). I'll be applying to schools this fall, I was wondering which schools, private and public, I should be applying to. I'm not worrying so much about tuition. So far I'm going to apply to some local private colleges, like Pomona College and UCI,UCLA,UCSD,UC BERKELEY (yes i'm from socal-don't mind going to the east coast for college). I also plan on applying to Colombia, Caltech, Cornel, Princeton, USC and ... University of Chicago (<-- the loser from the east side d: ) [: Really would appreciate a list of nice schools to look at and apply to-even more obscure private ones (anything that might ease my transition into medical school-if i even get in O;-lol ;D).
Higher Education (University +) - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You need some backup schools. All of the schools you're applying to are very hard to get into. And it's not that I don't think you'll get in... it's that it's smart to have backups, because you never know. You'd want the backups to be strong schools that do a great job of preparing students for med school. I'm thinking maybe Baylor, SUNY Stony Brook, Vanderbilt, Emory, U Florida, U Maryland College Park, UMass Amherst, Rutgers New Brunswick, UConn, U Rochester, George Washington, Auburn, Bucknell. These are well ranked schools that have great reps in the sciences, but which aren't quite as "woah" hard to get into as those you've listed. In addition, some top flight schools that I think you may want to look at: Johns Hopkins, Holy Cross, Washington U in St. Louis, Carnegie Mellon, Tufts, Georgetown, Villanova.
2 :
The main reason I wanted to answer was to caution you. First off, you are applying to too many schools. It costs money to apply and doing a scatter shot across 20 schools hoping that you get into one of them is expensive and unlikely to work out well. I would pick 10 at most, and pick them from different tiers, going from schools you know you can get into to ones that you wish you could. On top of that, your second list of schools seems out of reach for you. For example, Caltech accepts only a handful of transfer students and those students all have top grades from top schools. A 3.6 GPA, if it came from Harvard, would likely be too low to transfer into Caltech. A 3.6 GPA from a community college will have no chance. I do not mean to be mean, just realistic. If you are getting B's at a community college, you will be getting F's at Caltech. I can't speak with as much authority on the rest of those second-list schools, but I would guess that a 3.6 GPA from a community college will not be competitive at any of them (USC being the only one that may still be an option). These are, after all, highly selective universities. I strongly encourage you to think realistically about your applications, as it will save a lot of time and money. As far as your first list goes, I think a lot of those are real stretch schools for you as well. I'm sure you can find a school to transfer to, but I would be looking more at the level of UC Davis or Cal Poly rather than Berkeley. I don't think that you will find it any easier to transfer into a school than it would be to have applied straight out of high school. I would recommend you pick up a copy of the US News college ranking issue and that will give you an idea of what the relative strengths of different schools are what there admissions requirements are. There are literally hundreds of schools that will fulfill your needs, so you need to come up with a more restrictive set of requirements to narrow your search. But, please, be realistic with yourself.

Read more other entries :